“What should we focus on? Mobile? Omnichannel? Web? Or perhaps Internet of Things?”
The question was raised in the last few weeks in my meetings with several insurance companies and banks in Sweden, the Netherlands, and the UK. I’ll give my view in a few short bullets.
- Your digital strategy needs to address customer engagement (external), operational processes (internal), and business model transformation.
- SMACT needs to be injected into your products and services: Social, Mobile, Analytics, Cloud, Things (IoT).
- An omnichannel view is critical. It’s both physical and digital.
- Size of screen is never a basis for strategic level solutioning. Assume you need to support them all (as well as Things without screens).
- Users need and want access to your products and services on mobile devices, and the best solutions drive relevancy from context (location, past behavior, transactions, etc) and are best modeled using “Mobile moments”.
- “Mobile moments” is a modeling approach designed by Forrester Research and if you want to go deep, the book’s name is “The Mobile Mindshift”. The key idea is identifying that particular moment/place in time when/where the user needs and wants, and then optimize the feature set around that moment/place. In many ways, “mobile moments” drive the digital solutioning agenda today.
- Assume that it’s just a microsecond from the “mobile moment” until it hits the company’s processes, people, and platforms. Therefore, you can’t really separate external solutions from internal. They are always connected to each other.
So, there you have some of the pieces of the digital puzzle.